About this eventRead more See less
Major jumpoff: Sitio Balocloc, Brgy. Dalupirip, Itogon, Benguet
LLA: 1328+ MASL
Days required / Hours to summit: 1-2 days / 5-7 hours
Specs: Borderline major, Difficulty 4/9, Trail class 1-4
The hiking landscape in the Cordilleras has greatly expanded in the past few years, and among them are a growing number of dayhike possibilities from Baguio City. Among these, by far the most popular has been Mt. Ulap. For those wishing for a more serious dayhike, however – or even a new, relatively-relaxing overnight hike – there’s Mt. Pigingan in Itogon, Benguet, just under the shadow of Mt. Ugo. Though a low-altitude mountain – 1328m – by Cordillera standards, this mountain, which means “slanted” in the local language, nonetheless possesses the elements of a classic hike in the region.
The trip to Pigingan takes the hiker the same way to Brgy. Tinongdan, one of the major trailheads of Ugo, but the trip continues for 8 more kilometres to Sitio Balocloc in Brgy. Dalupirip, making for a total of a 1.5-2-hour jeep or van ride from Baguio City. The hike, which initially courses along the banks of Agno River, heads to a couple other hamlets before proceeding with the hike proper. Because the location of Mt. Pigingan places it close to Pangasinan and the lowlands, expect a warmer-than-usual Cordillera hike especially at the initial sections. There have also been reports of niknik (i.e. gnat or sandfly) bites especially along the riverbanks (although this could be truer during the wet season as the author didn’t encounter any during his hike in January 2018).
Source: Pinoy Mountaineer
Day 0 Friday
10:30pm - ETD
Day 1 Saturday
03:30am ETA Baguio, transfer to jeep
03:45am ETD Baguio to Sitio
05:45am ETA Sitio, register, secure guide breakfast
07:00am Start trek
08:30am Water Source
11:00am 2nd water source
02:00pm Arrival at the campsite, pitch tents,rest
05:00pm prepare dinner
07:00pm dinner, socials
10:30pm Lights Out
Day 2 Sunday
03:00am Wake up call, coffee or quick breakfast
03:30am start ascend to summit for sunrise viewing
05:30am Arrival at the summit
06:30am start descend
07:30am campsite, breakfast,
09:00am Start descend
12:30pm jumpoff. Washup. Lunch
02:30pm ETD Sitio Balocloc
04:30pm ETA Baguio, quick shopping
05:30pm ETD Baguio
07:00pm Dinner at Leeza's
11:59pm ETA Manila
Event fee 1800
Monster jeep rental
Please bring a photocopy of your valid ID for climb requirements
Porter fee 1k 15kgs Max
Things to bring:
Coverups (cap,buffs, armsleeves)
First aid kit
1. RESERVATION FEE OF PHP 500 IS NEEDED TO SECURE YOUR SLOT/S.
2. RESERVATION FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE 3 DAYS BEFORE THE EVENT BUT TRANSFERABLE TO OTHER PARTICIPANTS.
3. KINDLY SEND A PHOTO OF DEPOSIT SLIP.
4. OPEN FOR JOINERS.
5. FOR A GROUP OF 12PAX- YOU MAY CHOOSE ANY DATE THAT YOU PREFER.
6. THE ORGANIZER HAS THE RIGHT TO CANCEL THE EVENT IF THE MINIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS HAS NOT BEEN MET OR IF THE WEATHER IS BAD. RESERVATION FEES BY THEN IS FULLY REFUNDABLE IF THE EVENT WAS CANCELLED.
7. CLIMB AT YOUR OWN RISK
8. NO OVERLOADING/SARDINAS TOUR.
9. NO TO LAST MINUTE BACKOUT PARTICIPANT/S
10. BACKOUT PARTICIPANT/S 3 DAYS BEFORE THE EVENT DATE IS CONSIDERED AS SOLD. YOU HAVE TO PAY THE FULL EVENT FEE. LEARN HOW TO COMMIT.
LBC/PALAWAN EXPRESS/CEBUANA ONLY
WINK CHRISTOPHER D. CAVAS